Friday, October 29, 2010

Sailing

It is a marvelous hobby to be able to build your own boat and then sail the seas for a whole year.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think people like that still exist.  But alas we have encountered such individuals.  It has been quite the gift to have been invited on more than one occasion to embark on a seaside sail in and around some of the surrounding islands on the east side of Auckland harbour and coast. 

The Dragon

The ocean has a greenish tinge on sunny days and is quite darker on the gloomy days.  I haven't seen a shark (I really wanted to...well kind of; out of curiousity) but I did see a penquin and a school of dolphins dodging in and out of the water.  It was fantastic!   I have yet to muster the courage to go swimming in the sea.  I am hoping that will come with time. 












The tides come in and out twice a day.  You definitely have to be an expert seaman to navigate on and off the coast.  During low tide we sometimes come across some unfortunate marine life that got caught on the sand or lime deposits on the shore.  The boys and I came across a jelly fish, the first one we have seen thus far.  It just looked like a purplish blob on the sand.  The shoreline is littered with shells of all sizes, colours and shapes.  The eastern side of New Zealand has white sand and the western side has black (on account of volcanic deposits). 












There are many people in New Zealand who own boats of all kinds as the bay is full of them.  The most cost-effective of all types of boats would be of course a sail boat.  (I now know where Auckland got its nickname, the city of sails.)  It would cost at least $1000.00 in gas to operate a big boat in these waters and trust me you would want a big boat.











Jeremy and Jericho are learning the basics of sailboat operation.  It is a lot of work.  I think they like it though as they are quite willing to help prepare the food and gather supplies on the day of sailing.  It is great!!


We have to this day, managed to see Maratei Beach, Howlick Beach, Karekate Beach, Waiwera (hot springs), the shores of Waiheke Island and Bucklands Beach.  All of which are around Auckland.  I can't wait to start venturing further because what I have seen so far is so breathtaking!  I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment